I first started making thishomemade laundry detergent recipe about 14 years ago when we were dirt poor farmers and I wanted to be as healthy and natural as possible. Store bought natural detergents were expensive, certainly more than we could afford. So when friend shared this recipe I gave it a try and it worked!
Originally I made it using the popular Fels Naphta bar soap. However it has a strong smell and the more I learned I discovered it isn’t really all that natural.
Over time we moved and made some major life transitions and I found it easier to just buy detergent.
Later when I went back to making my own laundry detergent I wanted something completly natural so I created my own soap base for this recipe.
This recipe for all natural laundry detergent is actually very easy and it goes a long way. One bar of laundry soap with a couple other ingredients makes 10 gallons of detergent!
what you Will need:
- 1 bag of Simple Gifts Farmhouse’s Laundry Soap Shavings
- 1 cup of Super Washing Soda
- 1 cup of Borax
- 5 gallon bucket with lid
- Large Saucepan or Stockpot
1. Fill your 5 gallon bucket about half full with hot water. Add the Super Washing Soda and Borax and stir until dissolved.
2.Place the grated soap into your pan with 4 -6 cups water. Heat over medium heat until all the soap has melted.
3. Once the soap is melted, add it to your bucket and stir well.
4. Cover your bucket and let it sit until it becomes thick and gel-like, aout 24-48 hours.
5. Once the detergent has gelled, fill the bucket up the rest of the way with water and stir gently. This is now your laundry detergent concentrate,
7. To use fill a gallon jar half full of detergent and fill the other half with water. If you like a scent you can add about 20 drops off essention oils to your jar , although the scent won’t relly last on your clothing. I like to add lavender occasionally to mine.
8. Use about 1/2 cup-3/4 cup in your wash depending on how big the load is. I keep a measuring scoop right beside my jar for easy use.
9. Keep the large bucket of laundry detergent with the lid on in your laundry room and simply stir, refill, and dilute your detergent container as needed!
Note: My laundry soap shavings may be purchased here.
Let me know if you try this recipe!
Leave a Reply