Lemons… so bright and cheerful. Every spring I start craving everything lemon; lemon bars, lemon meringue pie, and lemon curd. Maybe it is the sunny yellow color after the dark winter days. My favorite kind of lemons are Meyer Lemons, they are so sweet and fragrant and my Grandpa in California has a tree that growing up we always got lemons from. But when Grandpa’s Meyer lemons aren’t available I make do with regular ones and buy a big bag when they are on sale.
This recipe for lemon curd is so rich and delicious… and it is really quite simple to make. The trick is to keep whisking the mixture to make sure it stays smooth and doesn’t turn out with lumps. This lemon curd is perfect paired with scones for a delightful poetry teatime!
Lemon Curd Ingredients
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest
- 1/2 stick butter
- Whisk together all ingredients except butter in a medium bowl. Place bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- Stir constantly until Mixture thickens, about ten minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted and fully incorporated.
- Transfer to a clean jar and stor in the refridgerator for up to a week.
- Serve on scones, muffins, or toast