Summer is in full swing with warm weather, busy days, long lazy evenings, gardening, activities and events. The last thing I want to be doing is slaving away in the kitchen making, hot complicated meals. This time of year we love big salads, grilled meals, and pasta salads. The quicker and easier the better, cold is a plus, and using lots of fresh veggies from the garden is a must!
Last weekend was our little town of Chewelah’s big festival; Chataqua Days. Full of fun and excitement it includes a parade, carnival rides, art and craft booths, music and entertainment, as well as plenty of fair food options; some healthier than others but all of it expensive! It is easy to be tempted to buy some of the delicious smelling food at the festival. But it really isn’t that healthy plus the cost quickly adds up for our family of five. So I had to plan ahead and think of a simple and tasty alternative so that no one would feel like we were missing out. This Thai inspired pasta salad is the perfect fit. Delicious and flavorful while also being satisfying and filling, this salad is simple to prepare and easy to pack in a small lunch box with plastic bowls and forks for an easy lunch while out and about!
We had a great day enjoying the music of An Dochas with the Irish Dancers, browsing through the craft booths(my favorite is always the gorgeous pottery), and visiting with friends! The boys also enjoyed their first roller coaster ride; it was good it was only a small one because I think they were surprised by how fast it went! We did finish out the day with a treat of a blueberry and whipped cream topped funnel cake to share for dessert. Having fun and making good memories is one of our main goals for this summer, I think we are succeeding!
- 1 package spaghetti or thai rice noodles
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 5 radishes, chopped
- 1 cup sugar snap or snow peas
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 1 small head broccoli, chopped small
- 1/2 cup cabbage, finely chopped
- 3 white salad turnips, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro or parsley, chopped finely
- 3 Tbsp. Soy sauce
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. sugar or honey
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro chopped
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Toss with oil and chill in refrigerator.
- Combine all sauce ingredients and mix well.
- Cook chicken breast. Cool and chop. Add enough sauce to coat chicken. Chill.
- Chop desired vegetables. Combine with chilled pasta, chicken and the rest of the sauce. Mix until everything is coated well.
- Place in a bowl and serve.
Leave a Reply