I can remember my Mom making my sister and I popsicles when we were young. They were always a fun, refreshing treat in the summertime. My boys love them now as I carry on the tradition. They are so easy to make at home, cheaper than buying them, and you can control what ingredients go into them. All you need is a little plastic popsicle mold (I found mine at the thrift store for $0.50),your kitchen freezer and a little imagination. You can really make them out of so many different things; yogurt/kefir and fruit smoothies, 100% fruit juice, homemade lemonade, homemade chocolate milk, use your imagination… Today my boys are having lemonade popsicles. These do have sugar in them, if you would rather avoid added sugar then the fruit juice ones or smoothie ones would work better.
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup organic sugar
- 1 quart water
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Pour into popsicle molds.
- Freeze for several hours or I find that over night works best.
- To remove from molds run briefly under warm water.
- Give them to your kids and send them outdoors to eat them, they will be messy!
Have you ever made popsicles? What fun varieties have you tried?