When we first started growing garlic we had never tried garlic scapes before. We didn’t even know what they were. We came to discover that they are the flower stalk of hardneck varieties of garlic. We also discovered that they are edible and quite tasty. I came up with this recipe the first year we grew garlic and it has been one of our favorites ever since. It has also been the most popular recipe we have handed out at the Farmer’s Market.
Garlic Scape Pesto
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 handful garlic scapes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 cup grated parmeson cheese
- Place spinach, garlic scapes, salt, pepper, oil, nuts and cheese into a blender or food proccessor. Blend until well chopped.
- Toss with cooked pasta or use as a spread on crusty bread.
- Makes enough for 1 lb. pasta.
Leave a Reply